Commercial flights are not my favourite means of transportation. Flying is inconvenient, over taxed and essentially inhospitable. [Obviously I don't fly business class.] Here are 5 tips for dealing with the inconvenience of air travel:
- Airport security and customs personnel are right – even when they are wrong – so don’t try to beat the system – pack your carry-on according to regulations.
- Collect airports - When I flew YYZ to Jackson Hole via Atlanta and Salt Lake City, I added two new airports to my collection.
- Dress up, not down…you’ll get more respect from the dozens of people who are in a position to make your trip a nightmare…and you will be chosen for an upgrade over a backpacker.
- Take the route less traveled – there are reasons that certain flights cost less than others and it isn’t always because there are multiple connections. Everybody opts for convenience, so you are competing for space with the majority.
- Own the discomfort and lack of amenities if you purchase a no-frills airline – remember you get what you pay for.